A deadline set by the United States and Iran to reach a deal to end the war and curtail Iran’s nuclear program expired on Monday, as tensions between Washington and Tehran have escalated since they signed a memorandum of understanding toward a peace deal in June.
Fox News’ Trey Yingst said that he spoke with President Donald Trump by phone Monday morning and that the president said he has “no time schedule” regarding a possible peace agreement. “I’m not in a hurry,” said Trump, who added that the midterm elections have nothing to do with his thinking on the matter, according to Yingst.
Trump said there is an ongoing backchannel for peace talks with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps that bypasses mediators and Iranian political officials, Fox News reported Monday.
“They should put up the white flag of surrender,” the president told Yingst, referring to Iran.
The conflict, which began Feb. 28, is approaching its sixth month with no immediate resolution in sight. Pakistan and Qatar played key roles in brokering the June MOU, which extended the ceasefire by 60 days at the time. Since then, both sides have exchanged strikes and the conflict has widened, including Saudi Arabia’s joint strikes with the U.S. in Iraq last month. Trump and Iranian officials in recent weeks have signaled that a deal is essentially dead.
Last week, Pakistani foreign ministry spokesperson Tahir Andrabi expressed optimism despite the breakdown in talks. “We are not closing the chapter,” he said. “Pakistan is making all-out efforts to bring the two parties to the negotiating table.”
A Pakistani government official told MS NOW that negotiations to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil passes, and bring a peaceful conclusion to this war were continuing.
When asked a possible ceasefire extension, the White House referred MS NOW to Trump’s comments to Fox News on Monday. A senior Iranian official told Reuters last week that talks to extend the ceasefire were not underway.
Trump also told Fox News on Monday that the ongoing U.S. naval blockade of Iranian ports near the Strait of Hormuz is wreaking economic havoc on Iran, despite Tehran’s public statements downplaying the impacts.
“They’re good poker players, but they’re dying,” Trump reportedly told Yingst.
When asked about talks between Iran and Oman over control of the Strait of Hormuz, Trump threatened to “bomb the s–––” out of Oman if the country gets “in the way.”
In response to Trump’s threat, a senior Middle East diplomat with direct knowledge of the Iran-Oman talks told MS NOW that Oman’s “primary objective” is working toward a “solution that leads to” the reopening of the strait. The diplomat was granted anonymity given the sensitivity surrounding the ongoing discussions.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
Inzamam Rashid, Ian Sherwood and Nora McKee contributed reporting.
The post As U.S.-Iran deadline for broad peace deal expires, Trump threatens to ‘bomb’ Oman appeared first on MS NOW.
From MS Now.

Leave a Reply